MIDORI, developed by Suntory, was launched in the United States in 1978.
And what better way to say "I am here!" than with a monster party at Studio 54(the world's most famous nightclub) attended by the stars of Saturday Night Fever, including the young up-and-comer, John Travolta.
In the year of its release, MIDORI was made the principal ingredient in "The Univers", the creatively named cocktail that won the first prize in the US Bartender Guild Annual Competition. MIDORI has gained an outstanding reputation among leading bartenders and cocktail designers worldwide for its outstanding quality and superb versatility.
Following the success in the US, MIDORI was launched in Australia and then in Europe. Available today in more than 30 countries around the world, MIDORI has become a truly international premium liqueur brand among young people.
|1978||MIDORI was launched US by Suntory(Production started in Japan)||
|•US Bartenders Guild Annual Competition:1st prize"The Universe" 2nd prize "Green Goddess"|
|1981||World wide sales figures
exceeded 100,000 cases
|1983||Handling of MIDORI was about 20
|Denmark||• US Bartenders Association Cocktail Competition:1st prize "Melonnaire" 2nd prize in Long-Drink Category "Green Eyes" • "Green Eyes" was selected official drink of LA city.|
|1984||Japan||• "Green Eyes" was selected official drink of LA Olympics.|
|1987||production started in Mexico|
• MIDORI was selected official liqueur and "Crocktail" was selected official drink of Expo that was held in Brisbane, Australia
• US Bartenders Guild Annual Competition:1st prize "By The Pool"
|1989||• International Bartenders Competition(UK):1st prize "Green Star"|
|• Sydney Cocktail Championship:1st prize "Love Junk"|
• US Bartenders Guild Association Cocktail Competition:1st prize "JJ's Best"
• Presidents Competition(France:1st prize "Coco Mingnon"
• Italian Bartenders Cocktail Competition:1st prize "Francesca"
• Asia pacific Cocktail Competition(Singapore):3rd prize "Hope"
• Italian Bartenders Association Cocktail Competition:1st prize "Laura" 2nd prize "MIDORI Cocktail"
|1993||MIDORI RTD was launched in Australia||
• International Bartenders Association Cocktail Competition:1st prize in After-Dinner Category "Royal Temptation"
• Cheers International Food&Beverage Recipe Competition(US):1st prize "Crocodile Cooler"
• Smirnoff Bartenders Mix-Off Competition(US):1st prize "On your knees boy"
• Pre-Dinner Cocktail Competition(UK:2nd prize "Spring Buck"
• Suntory National Long Drink Championship(Aust):2nd prize "Suntorian Star"
• Queensland Cocktail Championship(Aust):1st prize "The Mikado"
• Sydney Cocktail Championship:1st prize "Wet Spot"
• Suntory Cup(Aust):1st prize "Berry Cool"
• Suntory Cocktail Competition(Japan):1st prize "Four leaf clover"
• Italian Bartenders Cocktail Competition:1st prize "Prince"
• Bartenders Association Cocktail Competition(Italy):1st prize "Simphony"
|1995||Worldwide sales figures exceeded 150,000 cases||South Korea||
• Italian Bartenders Cocktail Competition:1st prize in Long-Drink Category "Babbler Parrot"
• Alexander Dun&Sons Cruise Ship Culinary&Cocktail Recipe Competition(US):1st prize "Carib Breezer"
• Swedish Bartender Guild Championship:1st prize in Long-Drink Category "Honey Moon" A.I.B.E.S.Barman Association Competition:Runner-Up Long-Drink Category 1st Prize"Madelene"
|1996||• IBA Competition was held in Japan, MIDORI Cocktails won the prize in each categories "Emerald" "Yellow Cab" "Green Dream"|
|1997||Vietnam||• US Bartenders Association Cocktail Competition:1st prize "Cecil's Dream"|
|1998||MIDORI website was released|
|1999||Worldwide sales figures exceeded 200,000 cases||Prize "Cocktail Mixer" of the year for 3 years in a row<1999-2001>(Aust)|
|2001||Worldwide sales figures exceeded 250,000 cases||
• MIDORI was selected as "Fast Track Brands"
|2003||Production started in France||• Italian Bartenders Cocktail Competition:1st prize in Long-Drink Category "Green Eyes" 2nd prize in Sparkling Category "Aqua del Destino"|
|2004||• Italian MIDORI Cocktail Competition: 1st prize in Prestigious Local's Barman Category "My dori" 1st prize in Great Hotels Barman Category "Hulk" 1st prize Emerging Barman Category "Summer Dream"|
|2007||New package and refined taste of MIDORI was developed.
worldwide sales figures exceeded 300,000 cases